從這裏開始,告訴你,好嗎?( 四 )
決定由尋找和肯定身份開始....
2005年3月至5月,我放下手上的工作,開始了一個漫長的假期。那段日子,我跑了亞洲八個不同的城市,把自己的心路歷程用寫和畫記錄下來,也隨意拍下一些照片。(部份輯錄在 Slide Show of my journey 2005 ) 雖然我沒有刻意為"尋找身份"而安排這個旅程,但固中經歷也擴濶了一點思想空間,最後我畫了幾幅同一糸列的畫作為旅程的總結。總結漸漸變成一些有待解答的疑問。


In Philippine:
* What's your name?
~ Carmen
* Carmen is a Spanish name, are you a Japanese?
~ No, I'm a Chinese ...
* oh, really? You look like a Fillipino
~ oh... am I?
* So, you don't have a Chinese name?
~ yes I do, but Carmen is the name I have for many years
In Osaka:
* Where do you come from?
~ Hong Kong, oh but I live in Toronto...
* Then where is your home country?
~ Hong Kong (but Hong Kong is not a country...)
* Actually you look like a Janpanese
~ oh... am I really?
In Beijing:
* 你覺得自己是中國人還是加拿大人?
~ .... 我也不知道.... 還是覺得自己是中國人吧。北京拿了08奧運,我高興了好幾天,我期待中國慢慢的進步起來。
* 你在外國這麼多年,也是半個老外吧。
~ ......
我在英國管治的中國人社會長大、然後接受美式教育。名字有莫嘉慧、Mok Ka Wai, Ka Wai Mok, Carmen Mok, Carmen Ka Wai Mok。吃肉醬意粉和魚蛋河、喝熱鴛鴦和可口可樂。看無線電視也看CBC, 聽王苑之也聽 Celin Dion,讀中英文對照聖經。
入境香港用香港身份証,去大陸用回鄉証,去台灣、日本、菲律賓、泰國用加拿大護照。有時講廣東話,有時講英語,需要時講國語,最多是講 half Cantonese & half English的不知甚麼卻又無誤溝通的 %#*Q&$@^。
In Japanese eyes, I look like Japanese,
In Fillipino eyes, I look like Fillipino,
but more is....
In Canadian eyes, I'm a Chinese,
在北京人眼中,我是外國人,
多數時間,我說我是香港人。
有時為這樣的背景感覺很累,我無法三言兩語告訴別人我是誰。有時也為這樣的背景感到驕傲,因為如此,我學懂走出自己的 comfort zone,看了更大的世界,把事物看得立體,思想變得多元化。
正反得失從來只差一線,介乎一點角度,加一點心情。
若然過去的日子是一個過程、一段訓練,是為明日作準備,那麼,下一回合將會是一場比初賽畧為精釆的遊戲。訓練過後,我選擇了香港遊樂場,期望場地可以發揮我這種身份和專長。
2005年3月至5月,我放下手上的工作,開始了一個漫長的假期。那段日子,我跑了亞洲八個不同的城市,把自己的心路歷程用寫和畫記錄下來,也隨意拍下一些照片。(部份輯錄在 Slide Show of my journey 2005 ) 雖然我沒有刻意為"尋找身份"而安排這個旅程,但固中經歷也擴濶了一點思想空間,最後我畫了幾幅同一糸列的畫作為旅程的總結。總結漸漸變成一些有待解答的疑問。


In Philippine:
* What's your name?
~ Carmen
* Carmen is a Spanish name, are you a Japanese?
~ No, I'm a Chinese ...
* oh, really? You look like a Fillipino
~ oh... am I?
* So, you don't have a Chinese name?
~ yes I do, but Carmen is the name I have for many years
In Osaka:
* Where do you come from?
~ Hong Kong, oh but I live in Toronto...
* Then where is your home country?
~ Hong Kong (but Hong Kong is not a country...)
* Actually you look like a Janpanese
~ oh... am I really?
In Beijing:
* 你覺得自己是中國人還是加拿大人?
~ .... 我也不知道.... 還是覺得自己是中國人吧。北京拿了08奧運,我高興了好幾天,我期待中國慢慢的進步起來。
* 你在外國這麼多年,也是半個老外吧。
~ ......
我在英國管治的中國人社會長大、然後接受美式教育。名字有莫嘉慧、Mok Ka Wai, Ka Wai Mok, Carmen Mok, Carmen Ka Wai Mok。吃肉醬意粉和魚蛋河、喝熱鴛鴦和可口可樂。看無線電視也看CBC, 聽王苑之也聽 Celin Dion,讀中英文對照聖經。
入境香港用香港身份証,去大陸用回鄉証,去台灣、日本、菲律賓、泰國用加拿大護照。有時講廣東話,有時講英語,需要時講國語,最多是講 half Cantonese & half English的不知甚麼卻又無誤溝通的 %#*Q&$@^。
In Japanese eyes, I look like Japanese,
In Fillipino eyes, I look like Fillipino,
but more is....
In Canadian eyes, I'm a Chinese,
在北京人眼中,我是外國人,
多數時間,我說我是香港人。
有時為這樣的背景感覺很累,我無法三言兩語告訴別人我是誰。有時也為這樣的背景感到驕傲,因為如此,我學懂走出自己的 comfort zone,看了更大的世界,把事物看得立體,思想變得多元化。
正反得失從來只差一線,介乎一點角度,加一點心情。
若然過去的日子是一個過程、一段訓練,是為明日作準備,那麼,下一回合將會是一場比初賽畧為精釆的遊戲。訓練過後,我選擇了香港遊樂場,期望場地可以發揮我這種身份和專長。


10 Comments:
說到identity,很有同感。曾經有人以為我係台灣CBC,又有人以為我係日本人,又有人以為我係CBC。說是香港人,卻失去了香港人的特質,失去了他們的流行文化,連說話的模式亦"好唔香港人" ;言而,說是加拿大人,有好像不夠"加拿大"。=P 不過,這應該算是Chinese Torontonian的特色吧 ^-^
By
Anonymous, at 09 January, 2006
the most common experience regarding "identity" is when we apply for passport, we need to fill up "Nationality". Should I write HK? but HK is not a country ... should I write Britian? but we are not British ... how about China? but I did not born in China wor ... then who am I?
By
Anonymous, at 09 January, 2006
一直記念你~
By
Unknown, at 10 January, 2006
I don't really have much "feeling" about my identity, anyway I am living on earth. I remembered that when I studied OAC English, I needed to do my essay (given a topic to compare the themes for 2 different books), I always saw the theme - identity, true-self, etc. Why do I have to ask myself what's my identity? On the other hand I am so proud of myself to be a HK borned Aussie student Chinese Canadian, wow, sounds so cool :)
By
Anonymous, at 14 January, 2006
For a very long while, I had the same question myself: "Who Am I?" Is my identity defined by where I was born? by the languages I speak? by the passport I hold? by the country I currently reside in? or is it by my genes, something I cannot change? ... After awhile, I understand that I'm who I am. All these categorization is a way for others to understand us a bit quicker and also for us to identify people who can understand our histories easily... In the end, we're all the same--we are all humans. We all have the same physical and emotional needs. All these differentiations are quite superficial. ^__^
By
Anonymous, at 15 January, 2006
Carmen,
妳好呀...
多謝妳留言...
亦都好多謝妳o既提點!
妳畫d畫好靚...
同埋我可唔可以加妳個link去我個blog度丫?
唔該晒~~~^-^~~~
另外...
想問下妳d畫係用乜野紙畫...?
完成之後係scan番?
妳耐一張要幾耐同埋幾耐會畫一張架?
By
Benedict, at 17 January, 2006
Hi Benedict, nice to meet you, your drawing is cute, I like it. You are always welcome to add me on your blog. =)
I draw on the basic plain sketch book paper, nothing very special or expensive. Since I don't add much water so the paper works fine. Pick the smooth surface paper better than texture.
Yes,I scan my drawing and post it up, it may need a little touch up with photoshop...
I draw whenever I'm free, sometime just taking the drawing kit and sitting at a coffee shop for half day long. Usually one drawing will take me about 2-3 hours.
keep in touch! =)
By
Carmen Mok, at 17 January, 2006
呢篇似乎有 d 弦外之音...
不過我睇吾到~ 嘿嘿~
雖然我只係一個喜歡香港既澳門人, 不過我都歡迎你~ bienvnue~
By
Alex CH, at 17 January, 2006
hi Carmen~
我已經add左妳個blog條link喇...
多謝晒...
妳鐘意o既都可以add我落度丫~~~
我仲有一個有關畫畫o既問題想問...
我見妳果D畫有D黑色線畫番outline出黎...
果D係唔係marker黎?
唔該晒...
我一個星期只係得星期日可以畫畫...
平時都冇咁多時間lu...
我自己平時就會用原子筆練習畫....
有時間就會用鉛筆素描, Marker同水彩...
水溶木顏色我剛開始試...
By
Benedict, at 17 January, 2006
Hi Benedict,
The outline was done by a fine waterproof ink pen calls Micron (針筆), I usually use #005/#01 depends of the size of my drawing. I'm sure you can find it in any art supply store in HK.
Outline gives a great definition of the image, without outline makes a sense of softness so I use both depends on the idea of my drawing.
You can create shadow by using different tones of color (eg. yellow, orange and red) or adding lines and dots with the ink pen is another option.
And sometime I add one more layer with the regular color pencil on the top of the watercolor, it brings richness and texture in a different way.
Color drawing is more complicated than b/w pencil, but once you got the trick, you will fall in love with it.
I don't have much time to draw too, many pieces you see on my blog were done little part from day to day, but I just enjoy it so much.
You photo album is great, then I remember I had seen you blog long time ago... =)
By
Carmen Mok, at 18 January, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home