Carmen's journey

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

How wild does a wild camp? Canoe Trip Sept 3-5, 2005

Labour Day long weekend, which symbolizes the end of summer and the beginning of school year. Many people would make use of the last long weekend before leafs turn red, traveling, hiking, family gathering or BBQ, just going outside to enjoy the sun and nature. Me? I spent my days at the Algonquin Park, having a pretty raw canoe wild camp.

It was very raw and simple, to someone like me who brought up in the city and live with computer. We cooked with the limited amount of gas, we ate dry foods and fruits, no flush toilet so we just picked a corner where has the best view for the BIG job, no shower so we jumped into the lake. No more hair style, make up, jewelry, trendy clothing or designer handbag...

I do enjoy the simplicity although only few days in a year, this trip always reminds me simple is the best. I found so many interesting experience from the nature, my eyes wide opened to seeing trees, animals and million stars, ears were available to enjoy the quietness and animal's voices. It was only because of the little space from being away my work, TV, computer or music, my mind had room for the nature.

This year we purposely chose an advanced route to test our limit, the most challenging portage with our canoes and backpacks was 3km long. I am the smallest size among our group so I was taking the lightest things but honestly it was still tough to me because of my body scale.

We had my friend James Campbell ("camp"bell?) with us this year who is a 100% Canadian (at least in my eyes =) , he grew up in the country side, his knowledge about nature is his common sense. And I'm trying hard to catch up what I was missing in this country, kept asking him questions just like a kid. I'm really appreciated and impressed by his outdoor knowledge, he made my trip so special this year.

Ask what and why, then I found there is so much to learn. They are not from books or internet, or far from the other side of the world. They just exist in everyday's live, happen right next to me. Share with you what I learned and what I found in last 3 days.












Water Lily: we usually found it at the nursery store, it has 2 kinds of flowers, white and yellow. I like the white one better.











Deer: You see how the bottom of trees have nice consistant trim? It is not done by man, it was done by deers. In the winter when water froze, deers can be able to walk on the ice and eat the trees as their winter foods. This is how they trim trees on the same level.











Beaver Damp: Beavers gather branches to stable the water level of the river so that water doesn't flood their home. But it gives us some extra work to get over it.
More...Beaver lodge: it is beaver's home, branches were being stacked up as a dome shape, entrance is underneath the water. Beaver pond: the little water area around the beaver lodge.










Moose: It is the largest member of the deer family. The one we met is female because she has no antler.










Moose footprint!










Frog: We found them day and night, now I know...
Frogs don't eat fishes, their major food is bugs, but fishes eat frogs, so fish and frog can't become buddies. Beaver is a vegetarian, they only eat grass and green trees, so beaver can be freinds of frog and fish.
ha...I like to find out their relationship!


Owl and Star: One night we were laying down on a big rock after dinner, million stars twinkled above us. We sew shooting stars as we heard some animal sound from far of the island. James was able to create the similar owl sound by his hands, he did communicate with the owl for about 2 hours long, amazing! I was told that it is the sound of Great horn owl, another name to call them is "Tigers in the Sky", they are about 3-4 feet tall...wow...hugh!!!











Swim in the lake with life jacket, it was our shower time after a long hard work in portage. We found a big rock sitting right in the middle of the lake, so we had nice water jump..yaya =)













Together, We Made It!
Finally it is over, my muscle is still feeling sore after 2 days, but it is a memorable trip that I'll never forget. Thanks all my friends who shared such wonderful moment with me.

2 Comments:

  • 嘩,真係好wild啊~
    很美麗的環境~

    By Blogger Unknown, at 08 September, 2005  

  • yes, Pakkin, nature is the biggest adventage of Canada, so I just don't want to miss it...=) but somehow I need a entry point to learn to enjoy it, since my brought up was totally out of this style.

    By Blogger Carmen Mok, at 08 September, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Counters
Counter